Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Yengathu special Kaapi

I padma, ritualistically, follow a schedule each day – so I wont go insane not knowing what to do. This is what comes of a prolonged holiday ( I call this a holiday - in Calicut as I have no pucca work, schedules or plans - i take each day as it comes).

So, coming to one of the schedules that I follow – every night, I scoop in large spoon-fulls of ground coffee powder into the decoction vessel. I then pour measured quantity of boiling hot water that will help the coffee give out its essence so that it percolates down to the collection container underneath. Early next morning, my MIL who wakes up first proceeds to empty a certain quantity of boiling hot water into the decoction vessel in order to extract more coffee from existing coffee powder I had scooped in.  Later , I  come down to the kitchen, totally unaware that my coffee decoction has been tampered with and proceed to empty another lesser measured amount of boiling hot water so as to extract some more coffee essence ( thinking that it is "rendaam thaneen" - second extract).  After some more time, my MIL feels that there surely must be some more to be got out of the coffee powder and proceeds to yet again pour out some more boiling hot water into the top container of the decoction maker. The net result of 4 times water being added to the same coffee powder – where each person does her best without the other being aware – results in watery , horrible, brownish liquid in the name of decoction and poor jairam has to drink up the coffee made out of this liquid ! :)  Then, the verdict comes - “ the coffee day brand ” coffee powder is much better... so,  padma you  need to buy some from Chennai next time you go there. This horrible coffee powder from Wayanaad is no good !”

The science and reason behind the shitty coffee was discovered today when i found out what both me and my MIL have been doing behind each others back - and it has been resolved that padma shall henceforth be the sole operator of the coffee decoction vessel. ( subject to change … “immediately” as MIL will not remember the resolution at all).. ha ha

trivia - in my day-today life - thought i would share this....

No comments:

Post a Comment