Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My first time in a “bar”

My first time in a “bar”…

Friends, I am surprised that it was only at age 44 – I got to visit a “live, thriving bar” for the first time in my life… it all began like this.

I have a good friend by name Jaya Rajgopal – she is a playback singer by profession. Her elder sister Mangala happens to be my very very close friend. In fact, Mangala’s entire family and my family have known each other for 20 years now.

Every Friday evening between 7 and 11, Jaya in her golden mellifluous voice – renders retro Hindi film songs in the “permit room/ bar” of Hotel Residency at G.N. Chetty Road. Jaya is usually accompanied by Sekar – who sings  in Kishore kumar’s voice and sometimes one Mr. sudesh who flies in from Bombay when they need an authentic replica of Momd.Rafi. The troupe as such is fantastic with Jaya’s uncanny ability to transform her voice to sound like Asha, Lata, Usha Utup, Roona Laila and even Suraiya !! In fact, Jaya is called the Asha Bonsle of Chennai. The songs all date back from 1950s to 1980s. I have heard Jaya many times in the TV and at informal family gatherings.. but at the bar – It happened when a valid opportunity presented itself, I had reason to celebrate my having passed my Msc ( psychology) course with first class marks. The minute the results came, instead of thinking “why.. I for a change thought Why not ?”.  I must mention here that this place is pretty decent, visited by family, aged couples.. mostly music lovers who appreciate good old melodies.

Off I rode my two wheeler and reached the hotel at 8. I inquired at the reception where the “black & White” retro was happening and they said “ first floor in the bar”. I rode the elevator with 3 men who got out of the elevator in the first floor and walked towards the bar – they appeared to be familiar with the whole place. Well, I stood looking at the door that read “bar” and walked towards it. The bouncer at the door looked at me and asked “maam – the restroom is at the other end of the corridor” . What ! did I look constipated or something that he should point me to the restroom !! I stood my ground and looked inquiringly towards the door that led to the bar. With a doubtful frown he said “ maam you want to go to the bar ? “  ( I thought to myself… it must be my dress – I had worn a nice salwar kameez that fell slightly short of having “pujyaneeya-behanji” written all over in bright print) I gave him my most confident look and said : “ yes, it’s the bar I want to go into”. He opened the door wide and in I strode. The three men who had gotten in before me – turned 180 degrees … and thinking - is this female lost?  I took in the whole ambience – it was softly lit and there was a centre aisle with soft leathery black sofas 3 of them one behind another like in a movie theatre and  on either side of the room were small semi-circular alcoves again with sofas and each had a largish centre table in front of it laden with food, beverages, cocktail, ashtrays and stuff. Of course, what took me by surprise was that the whole place was overflowing with people ! Every sofa was taken – full occupancy ! I strode ahead briskly and taking in the sights and at the same time combing the entire area to spot “Mangala” and my two other friends “ vidya and Meera” who had promised they’d be there. I walked right up to the front and had the uneasy feeling that you get at the back of your neck – when you feel people are all intently looking at a newbie that just walked in.
Up front – I spotted Jaya singing in all earnest with her eyes closed due to the high pitch and so, could not catch her eye – everywhere else that I ran my eyes – I could not spot any familiar face. That’s when I literally saw my confidence whooshing past or rather draining out all of a sudden. If you wanted to witness the “ fastest exit possible on two legs” – well, I had just demonstrated how it was done !! I ran out literally and the bouncer clearly had a smirk on his face that said – “ you take my advice and go straight to the restroom – lady …  you already look like you’ve had one too many”. Just as I whipped out my phone ( like the cowboys do their revolvers) – I heard my name called – “Padma… come in – why did you run away ?” That was Jaya’s husband Rajgopal holding the door open for me. I arranged my face in the best possible expression that would convey “ what are you talking about” and said “OOh! Lets go in then”.

There was my “gang” at the very first alcove tucked away at the very front – it had eluded my vision – maybe because It was kind of dark … don’t know. Well, relief was written all over my face and I sat between my friends… The songs were beautiful and it transported us to another era. Then, the others audiences – most of them diehard fans of Jaya – looked askance at me when I ordered lemon soda. By now, I had mastered the expression that conveyed “ I am a veteran hereabouts” … I keenly took in the expressions and actions of the people around and even practiced sipping my lemon juice like it was hard liquor.. People there were ravenously hungry I suppose – plate after plate of eats kept filling the tables and getting replenished. Little did they know that I had eaten “ rasam chaadam and more-chaadam” to my fill before I got there ! ( he he he.) 

At half past nine, both Vidya and Meera left. I stayed on as Mangala was anyway going to accompany me back home and she had planned night stay at my place. As the song requests kept piling and the songs went on from melodies to peppy numbers from the past – I could see a change in the mood of the audience – they were all “ on a high” and I could see people dancing. Mangala, who never misses any of her little sisters programs - was a regular here and so knew quite a few of the other “regulars” well. She was covertly pointing out the “who’s who” in the room and I was privy to some real spicy news on who was seeing whom etc. Then there was an actor, a couple of famous singers, a film director, richy-riches, politicians – so, in the presence of so many celebrities - my pupils remained dilated that whole night. 

The best entertainment, much more than I had ever bargained for, however came from an old man – in his late-sixties.. edging on 70s I guess. He was thin, a large bald pate with silky silvery curls around his neck, thinning white moustache framing his mouth, clean shaven,  thin but a happy face, bespectacled and sharp eyes. His shirt was tucked in, neatly dressed… he came and sat on the sofa right in front of me and Mangala.  For one,   he took to drinks like fish to water..he’d had the third glass refilled with whatever it was he was drinking. I noticed that every cocktail / soft drink served comes with a plastic spatula in the wine glass. I took mine out and drank my lemon juice, but I noticed some used it to stir their drinks. Maybe to mix the ice – I’m not sure.  Well, this old man  – he was quite a stirrer… for one – he had somehow found a connection between the rhythm and tempo of the songs and his stirring speed. As the songs tempo increased, so did his stirring speed. He did it amazingly well with a broad smile and not a drop spilled. He gave an altogether new meaning for the use of the spatula.  (I thought to myself …  maybe he got that way by practice…by staying up nights and mixing up the formula for his grandchildren .…)

. His stirring was accompanied by whistles and howls … howls that would put a whole bunch of teens to shame – and the best part was his jaunty moves – he’d keep the drink on the table, put out his paws like a Meercat and make those saavy moves with his shoulders – and slicing movements with his hands – and his infectious smile !! OH my God ! I laughed so loud the first time I caught sight of him – the singers looked at me in shock “ what is so funny in a love song” ? Mangala  smartly covered her face with her saree-pallu and giggled on. I could just not contain myself – I thought I was going to fall off the sofa and make a fool of myself. I was going to earn the title for “ the woman who got high on lemon juice”… with great difficult I got a grip over myself and resolved never to look his way. But, every now and then, curiosity would get the better of me and I would steal a glance his way and that would send me into peals of laughter. The old guy was so drunk that he was not put-off by our laughter. 

Well, thankfully the show ended and we could extricate ourselves. All the way home – with Mangala riding pillion, we laughed recollecting the old man and his actions. Well, I was later let in on the fact that this old man, was the epitome of dullness and sobriety whenever his wife accompanied him to other functions. You couldn’t catch him dead with a glass of drink.  His wife never fancied the bar and this was his “outlet”.  Poor man. I don’t blame him. In fact, I would not mind going to the show again – it would be a double treat – both music and entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment